Thursday, January 28, 2010

Incontinence

This morning Lily had another accident, the second time in a couple of days and an increasing problem in the last couple of months.  Both times I have found her wet pants early in the morning after she had already changed out of her PJ's.  She takes them off and places them over the register in her room so you can imagine the smell when I open the door.  She then puts her PJ's back on as I only keep one outfit in there at a time to prevent her "packing" behavior.

I was pondering this as I was driving thinking perhaps it was time to suggest depends and really not liking the indignity that would bring to her.

The more I thought about it I wondered why these accidents were coming more and more frequent and the timing of them.  During the day she is not incontinent and her bed has rarely been wet.  Then it came to me.  I bet she is getting up and immediately getting dressed and when she goes to use the bathroom it is occupied by one of my children.  Lately I have noticed that when she has to go there is no time to wait.  And yes I have had her checked for a bladder infection.  I believe her mind due to Alzheimers is just not registering that her bladder is full quick enough so when it is time she must immediately go to the restroom.

So I was wondering if it used to be she could wait for the kids to get out but now she can't and she does not have the judgement to knock on the door or to go to another bathroom and that is why the accident happens.
So before I try the depends I am going to alter our behavior to try to facilitate hers and have the kids take all their morning showers  in our bathroom and see if that alleviates the problem.

Perhaps we can hold off on the depends a little longer................

No comments:

Post a Comment