Monday, August 31, 2009

I have a Headache!



This morning I came down stairs and made note of the cute outfit mom had on which consisted of her purple pj's over a white shirt with socks and shoes.  I said, "Mom I want to take your picture" and she immediately posed as you see on the right.

However, my camera batteries were dead so it took me about 5 minutes to replace them.  In the meantime mom became comfortable sitting at the counter drinking her coffee.

"Ok Mom I am ready to get that picture."  As quickly as she had wanted a picture earlier  she now wanted no part of that.  "I want no picture.  I have a headache. It just came on. A real...............ly bad headache." She was smiling as she looked through her fingers but when mom says no she means no at least for that moment. 

I said,  " You never get a headache.  Remember what Norbert (my dad) used to say to you? "

Laughing she said, "I know how can you get a headache when there is nothing in there?  He used to kid me about that all the time."

Well about 10 minutes later after she was done with her coffee and back on her feet, I again requested a picture and she happily posed as you see above right.

Many times when trying to get a person diagnosed with Alzheimers to do something and they don't want to, just give it a rest and come back to it once they have forgotten that they don't want to do it.

2 comments:

  1. Kerry,
    What an amazing blog you have created in tribute to your Mom and her fight along with 5.3 Million Americans living with Alzheimer's Disease. Your stories made me laugh and cry, and I know your blog will be a blessing to family members coping with their loved ones. I remember all the wonderful, feisty stories and political topics your Mom would share with me while sipping hot tea with milk. You are an inspiration to me and your family, and I know your Mom is very proud of you.
    I love you, T

    ReplyDelete
  2. T

    Your opinion means so much to me and I appreciate all your love and support for the last 31 years!

    I love you,
    K

    ReplyDelete