Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Third Day

Arriving this morning Lily was a little out of sorts anxious and glad to see me. Standard question. “Where have you been?”

“I don’t think I like this place. I can’t really figure out why though.”

I distracted her by going right to morning details like her make up and hair. By the time we finished with that she was on to something else. I left her in her room telling her I had to go run some errands and planned to come back this evening.

This afternoon I received a call from the nurse just as I was heading to the eye doctor.

“Your mom is wandering the halls looking for you. Do you think you could stop in?”

I explained I was on the way to the Dr. but would come as soon as I could. In the meantime I text Ryan to ask him to go right after school which he did.

He said he arrived to Lily saying, “Jesus I couldn’t believe my eyes when I saw you.”

I arrived a short time later and we took Lily out for 15 minutes and went through the McDonalds drive thru for coffee.

As we were leaving she said, “Now I don’t think I want to come back here tomorrow. I just want to stay home.”

I just keep reminding myself that some adjustment is normal and once the 30 days are up life will be easier.

At present she is eating and I am hoping to head out shortly to go home to fix dinner for the rest of my family.

1 comment:

  1. Kerry,
    It sounds like one of the things that makes it harder in your case is that your mom is so extraverted that she vocalizes so many of the thoughts that go through her head. With us, when we're confused, we often just keep a lot of the thoughts inside and wrestle with them there. But for your mom - she puts them all out there for your to hear. Which makes it tough.



    I keep remembering your post a little while back when she commented to the woman who was helping her at home that she hadn't seen Emily for a while, when she had just passed Emily five steps below her, 10 seconds earlier. Time doesn't mean the same thing for your mom as it does for us. I'm hoping that maybe that can help you, that it can work in your favor...that she'll evolve to be immersed in whatever present moment she's in during her days there, and that then when someone from your family comes, it's just a pleasant new moment.

    Hang in there.....it can't be easy. I'm so glad that she's in the care of people who are so familiar with how this disease works in different people. She's in good hands...
    Love, Sue

    ReplyDelete