Friday, November 13, 2009

Close Call

Last night at Chris & Jenny's house (our son and daughter-in-law) the carbon monoxide alarm went off.  Thinking it might be the batteries Jenny changed them and it stopped.  Shortly afterwards the speaking carbon monoxide detector in our grandson Caleb's room went off saying, "CARBON MONOXIDE, GET OUT NOW!"  At that point Jenny knew they had a problem and out they all went into the front yard.  Vectren told them to call the Fire Department.  When the firemen entered the home their little gadgets that detect carbon monoxide starting blinking red and alarming.  Immediately the firemen went back out and put on Oxygen  masks to go back in and check the house.  High levels were detected in all areas of the house which later were attributed to a faulty gas furnace.  I shudder to think what might have happened if Jenny had not had the foresight to install the detectors.  The family would have gone to sleep without a clue what was happening.

 Carbon monoxide (CO) is the number one cause of poisoning death in America. It is an odorless, invisible, and extremely dangerous gas, which can be given off by the most common gas appliances or furnace in your home or even a car in an attached garage.

So please everyone make sure you have working carbon monoxide detectors on all levels of the home including all the bedrooms.

For children Jenny said it is recommended to have talking detectors rather than just beeping detectors in their bedrooms to instruct them what to do.

Even if you have an all electric home  as I do place one in the room off the garage in case someone forgets to turn off the car after parking.  I know that sounds crazy but it has happened.  (not to us as of yet!)

No comments:

Post a Comment