Saturday, October 17, 2009

Living in the Moment

This morning as I was walking Lily into the DayAway program at St. Leonards which she attends on Fridays we passed a sign which said St. Elizabeth's Garden.  I thought that was very appropriate and perhaps a positive sign as Lily's legal name is Elizabeth Patricia Gehrke (O'Callaghan).






Walking through the entrance I noticed a wall painting which I had not noticed before that I liked very much.



After getting Mom settled in I started chatting with Lisa the DayAway director and asked her how Lily was doing in the program.  She replied that she was doing very well.  When doing activities she participated freely and some of the other patients who at times could be annoying did not seem to bother her.  I said well if they did she would forget within a few minutes.  She laughed, nodded, and said, "Yes, living in the moment."
Excitedly I said,  "That is the name of my blog!"  She then asked me for my link.

We continued chatting and she remarked that she and some of her staff have often said they need to write a book about some of the humorous events that happen with the residents there and that humor is such a great coping mechanism for dealing with this disease.  I said, "You are going to like my blog then as that is what I try to focus my writings on."

No comments:

Post a Comment