Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Alice


Mom has a caregiver named Alice who comes in twice per week for about 5-6 hours at a time to take care of her which relieves me of my responsibility for awhile.   Before Lily became more advanced in her Alzheimers she was  a big and I mean BIG Talker.  Being from Ireland she must have kissed the Blarney Stone many times for she definitely had the gift of gab.  Mom is not as talkative now but still enjoys conversation and Alice likes to yak which is so good for mom.  Alice brings mom breakfast and they sit at the counter talking and reading the newspaper together.  Alice also helps mom with her shower and hygiene.  Usually they watch The View and often take walks over to the park.  After Alice leaves I will ask mom if she had a nice visit with Alice and she says, "Oh yes very much,  She is very nice."  Oftentimes she says,  "I don't know why she comes over so much she must be lonely and need the company which is fine."

Today Alice told me a story about her last visit with mom which she said cracked her up.  While at the park sitting on the bench,  Mom suddenly looked at her and said,


"You live with your sisters too, don't you?"


Alice replied, "No, I live with my husband."


"But he does have a wife doesn't he?"


Laughing Alice said,  "Yes, it is me!"

She said she chuckled over that all day telling her husband when she got home.

3 comments:

  1. It takes a very special person to take on a job such as that. Alice (who is my grandmother) is a very special person, and yes she does LOVE to talk!! I like this page alot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Brooke. Alice talks fondly of you quite often to us. You must be a very special person too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I WORKED WITH ALICE FOR MANY YEARS AT DAYCO. ALICE IS INDEED A VERY SPECIAL PERSON. SHE WAS ALWAYS DOING CARING THINGS FOR NEEDY CO-WORKERS.
    THEN HAS GONE ON TO BE A FOSTER MOTHER AND NOW A CAREGIVER TO AN ALZHEIMER PATIENT. JESUS LOVES HER AND SO DO I.

    ReplyDelete