Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Lilybird and Bird


            

I have an old  friend named Robin who has the nickname of "Bird" given by another old friend named Penny.  We have all known each other since third grade.  Last June I needed to go to Florida to do some work at our home in Ponce Inlet and I planned to take Mom with me.  I mentioned the trip to Robin who volunteered to accompany me and help me with the work I had to do.  Knowing Robin I knew she would be fabulous helping me clean and decorate the house but I have to admit I was a little worried about how she would react with Mom 24-7.  The reason I worried was once when she was over and Mom was very repetitive that day she commented how she didn't know how I did  it as she would not have the patience to deal with that.  However she did not mention any concerns she might have been feeling being with an Alzheimer patient for so long and even had to miss her 10 year old son's Eric's soccer tryouts.  I was so happy Robin agreed to go because truthfully I did not know if I could deal with Mom 24-7 for a week without anyone else around to lighten it up.
Well let me tell you Robin did fabulous!  She was SO GOOD with mom and we all had the best of times.  Robin joked with mom and we shared so much fun and laughter.  I will never forget that trip and how fabulous Bird treated Lilybird patiently answering her questions over and over and helping her whenever she was needed.   While there Robin  kept telling me  that I needed to record Mom or write this stuff down because she was so funny.  Little did I know at that time that before too long I would be doing just that!

Lily, Penny, Robin, Allison, Kerry (Me)

God has put some wonderful friends in my life who have been there for me during this time.  To put into words the emotion I feel in my heart observing my friends interacting with my mother in such a kind caring manner is not possible but is something I will never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment